high performance energy efficiency
The Passive House certification issued by the Passivhaus Institut of Darmstadt, Germany, represents the future of energy efficient building. A certified Passive House is one that remains comfortable in all seasons without employing an active heating or cooling system. It is one of the highest achievable standards in building energy efficiency, and we are proud to be on the forefront of the Passive Movement here in Italy. Click here for Frequently Asked Questions about Passive Houses and Buildings.
Some of our articles about Passive House:
- ‘La Casa Passiva in Italia’ (Passive House in Italy) LinkedIn group passes 1000 members (6/18/2013) - We are happy to announce that just after the second anniversary of its creation, our LinkedIn group ‘La Casa Passiva in Italia’ (Passive House in Italy) passed 1000 members. Considering that the Italian government has only recently adopted the European Directive on Near Energy Zero Buildings, there is still much work to be done as […]
- Near Zero Energy Buildings in Italy (5/25/2013) - With great delay, the Italian government has finally implemented the EU Directive 2010/31 on Near Zero Energy Buildings. This directive leads the way for the future development of the entire European construction industry: let's explore what it is, shall we?
- We are now officially Certified Passive House Designers. (4/12/2013) - We are pleased to announce that Emu Architects' very own Enrico Bonilauri has officially become a Certified Passivhaus Designer, after having passed the Passivhaus Institut exam in December 2012. This prestigious and internationally recognized professional certification is, without a doubt, a very important step in our continued education.
- iPHA announces new release of PHPP version 8 – 2013 (3/15/2013) - PHPP - Passivhaus Design SoftwareThe iPHa - International Passive House Association - recently announced the new release of version 8 of PHPP, the design software for passive buildings. After the 2012 release of version 7, this upgrade is going to allow further improvements for better design in warm humid climates with Passivhaus standard.
- The main difference between a Passive House and a Near or Net Zero Energy House (3/7/2013) - Given the recent developments in European legislation on energy efficiency, the theme of Near or Net Zero Energy Buildings in has become a hot topic. In a market that tends to interchange names, definitions and standards of construction, we propose a reflection on the difference between a Passive House and a Near or Net Zero […]
- Emu Architects at Casa e Tavola 2012 (‘Home and Table’ expo) in Reggio Emilia (10/5/2012) - After the success of our collaborative stand with Octopus Lab Project at the ‘Salone del Mobile’ (furniture expo) in Parma last winter, we decided to repeat the experience at the 2012 edition of Casa&Tavola (Home&Table) expo in Reggio Emilia. From October 6th to 14th, we will be presenting several solutions for ecological home design and […]
- BIM Energy Analysis with ArchiCAD 16 (5/18/2012) - Graphisoft has just released the preview videos for their new ArchiCAD version 16, and we are pretty excited about it here at Emu Architects. Enrico Bonilauri has written an extensive assessment of the newly integrated energy analysis features (basically incorporating EcoDesigner) over on our Italian blog. I'll attempt to translate his thoughts into English here for our international readers:
- book review | “Grundlagen und Bau eines Passivhauses” by Dieter Pregizer (6/14/2011) - To continue our studies on the subject of Passive House design, we recently read the German-language book ‘Fundamentals and Construction Considerations of a Passive House’ (original title: Grundlagen und Bau eines Passivhauses), by Dieter Pregizer. Our rating: 2 of 5 stars For a client who wants to better familiarize him/herself with the world of Passive […]
- book review | “Technologie und Wirtschaftlichkeit des Passivhauses” by Stefan Echterhölter (6/7/2011) - In order to better understand the technical details and economic aspects of Passive House construction, we recently read the German-language 2002 thesis by Stefan Echterhölter 'Technology and Economic Aspects of the Passive House' (original title: Technologie und Wirtschaftlichkeit des Passivhauses), from the Tech University at Karlsruhe, Germany. My rating: 4 of 5 stars.
- 15th International Passive House Conference in Innsbruck, Austria, 27-28 May 2011 (5/25/2011) - Next Friday, May 27, the 15th edition of the International Passive House Conference (15. Internationale Passivhaustagung). This year, the event is going to take place in Innsbruck, Austria. We had a look at the most interesting conferences scheduled for the two-day event focussed on Passive Design.
- Interview with Wolfgang Feist, founder of the Passivhaus Institut in Darmstadt (5/23/2011) - We found a 2009 interview with Wolfgang Feist, founder of the Passivhaus Institut in Darmstadt, Germany, published on Youtube by AECBPassivhaus. The goal of the interview is to introduce the concept of the Passive House as a building standard for the 21st Century.
- “Green BIM” webinar | GRAPHISOFT EcoDesigner (3/1/2011) - We took part in the webinar "Green" BIM - Low Energy Building Design for New Projects and Retrofits with GRAPHISOFT EcoDesigner", organized by Graphisoft to present Ecodesigner, the energy evaluation add-on for ArchiCad.
- Klimahouse 2011 Product Spotlight | Internorm PVC Windows (1/29/2011) - This company, Internorm, specializes in PVC windows, which (as a material) are not as eco-friendly or expensive as wood but not as energy intensive, poorly insulating, and cheap as aluminum. This particular product shown in the photo claims to meet the Passive House standard of thermal conductivity (0,70 W/m2), while maintaining a very nice design that allows it to have a slim interior profile.
- A Passive House in Reggio Emilia, Italy (1/24/2011) - Emu architects has just started the design for a residential building to be built in Cavriago, near Reggio Emilia. We will be pursuing Passive House certification, issued by the Passivhaus Institut in Darmstadt, Germany.
- Passive House Conference 2011 (1/14/2011) - With certifications like LEED and Casa Clima becoming more mainstream, the green movement is constantly looking for something to push the envelope. The Passive House movement is one that is quickly gaining recognition in the green building industry as the highest achievement possible for a design. Unfortunately, the prohibitively high price tag on the entry fee for the conference calls attention to the lucrative business of certifications and the difficulties small businesses face in joining such movements.
- Passive House Movement in the U.S. | Architectural Record (11/25/2010) - Passive house design has seemed to gain attention lately, as the more environmentally conscious builders and designers are seeking something that sets them apart from the greenwash and hype in the market.